<$BlogRSDUrl$>
About | Our Addictions | the Monkey House | JJ's Special Blend
Where you're either looking for a fix, or just plain bananas

On the Grounds of Equality in Ohio.

Tuesday, June 06, 2006
written by Java Junkie

I haven't had a valid drivers license in years. Yeah I know it's hard for most people to believe. In a "go go go go go, let me go, I want to go, I want to go" society, where personal freedom equates to mobility, I don't have a drivers license.

Last week some time I decided that it would probably be a good idea to at least have some sort of valid I.D. The last form of which that I still had in my possession was a drivers license from another state, expired of course. So on Monkey's day off, Wednesday, we hopped in the ol' mini van and headed down to the DMV. While we're waiting in line Monkey is looking at the example novelty plates you can get for your car. You can get Buckeyes, Indian, or Browns plate. You can get a plate with various catch phrases that are supposedly Ohio related. You can get plates with a Free Masons symbol on it, which not only is odd but just a slight bit creepy. While I'm sitting there wondering if cops wouldn't pull you over for speeding if your plate had a Free Masons symbol on it or if you need some secret handshake to even GET one, Monkey points out that there's a Right to Life plate... But no plate for Freedom to Choose.

Before we go any further let me state clearly what my official stance on this controversial subject is. I am NOT "Pro Abortion." I believe, for many, abortion is not the best choice. I believe that all alternatives should be, but rarely are, discussed in detail with women, young and adult, that are considering abortion as an option. Although I don't believe there are nearly the number of girls who do so that some would have us believe, I do acknowledge that there are very rare cases where girls have thrown responsibility out the window with abortion being their "back up plan." I do believe this is an unfortunate and uneducated circumstance that exists in all areas of life. I believe that just because something is not the right path for me, or that I follow certain faith bound guidelines, that it's NO ONE'S place in this country to force that belief or life on me. In short, I believe in a woman's right TO CHOOSE. I am a firm supporter in Pro CHOICE. But that's not what this is about. What this is about is cattle.

It makes me quite a bit concerned that our state government now is using our vehicles as billboards for religious rhetoric and propaganda. I find it disturbing that the two non state related plates were both known right wing agenda advertisements. I find it disgusting that the American public doesn't see this as the violation of their rights that it is. I find it ludicrous that it's been allowed. We are being guided through a maze to the slaughterhouse none the wiser and it's our own faults.

What, exactly, is going to have to happen in this country for our fellow Americans to wake up and take a stand FOR this country? How many rights are going to have to be infringed or even revoked before we rise up to say "enough is enough!" What will you have to lose before you get up off your couch and do something about where this country is going?

It may be a cliche' but knowledge is power. There is a reaction to each action. Don't only write your congress person on topics that you find particularly compelling, but find 10, 20 or even 100 more people willing to do the same thing. I find it so disheartening that people are so uninformed about not only the politicians they elect into office but the very way our government operates. Yes there are almost 300 million people in the United States but one person CAN make a difference. It only takes one person to start a movement.

"I'm too tired." "I'm too busy." "I have no idea where to start." "I honestly don't care." "It won't make a difference." What if our founding fathers would have given these excuses when it came to our independence from British control? You wouldn't be so tired if wages kept pace with the increase in living expenses. You wouldn't be so busy, either. All you need to do to start is to become informed. Read, investigate, explore and research. And sorry for saying so but if you honestly don't care then you really have no right to be in this country at all. If you're disenchanted, find someone who's not to re-kindle your fire. If your still positive, even after you've found all the cheerleaders you can find, that no ones voice makes a difference then what is there left to be an American for? Have pride in your country, know about it. Don't be one of those people who say it's your duty as an American to vote but really have zero idea whom your voting for other than the palaver spewed out by campaign ads.

Whether your pro choice or pro life, the sentiment should be the same. We need to take our country back into the hands of the people. We need to stand together to end the corruption of our government and return it to the principles on which it was founded. We need to know who we're voting into power before we put them there. And we need to be willing to admit that we mis-trusted and made a mistake when the person we put into power turns out to be someone else. We need to NOT be cows herded through the gates to the slaughterhouse.
12:59 AM ::
6 Comments:
  • When are you going to run? I think you should.

    By Blogger Jenny, at 7:56 PM  
  • I think I would vote for you! You have inspired me to do something (no, I don't know what yet) about my Uncle's HMO that won't let him transfer to a hospital that can save his life because they don't want to pay for it. I can't even believe that is an option! Yeah, no, we don't want to move him, it is too expensive for us to help him live???? Sorry for the tangent, just wanted to let you know how inspiring your words are to me!

    By Blogger Radioactive Tori, at 8:24 PM  
  • Insurance companies are a whole other can of worms for me. I think it's horrid that, regardless of what the doctor or patient thinks is best, the insurance company has the final say so. I heard recently that even the poorest in the UK are just as healthy as America's wealthiest and they directly attribute it to a universal health care system. I'm sorry you're having so much trouble with your insurance company.

    By Blogger Monkey, at 8:52 PM  
  • blah I just spent a fair amount of time trying to remember the name of the insurance activist group that was a sister organization for the environmental group I worked for in Michigan because I was certain they had a branch in Ill. to no avail. I'll keep trying and see if I can get you some help somehow, but I can't make any promises.

    Good luck with it though. Insurance companies not wanting to pay for someone to get healthy is *exactly* why I'm still sick. :/

    By Blogger Java Junkie, at 9:10 PM  
  • Actually, my uncle lives in Michigan. Can I have any info you have? I can forward it to my aunt who can use it to help my uncle. The internet rocks!

    Insurance companies really make me angry sometimes. My son was on medicine that was costing us $280 a week. Um, we aren't rich! I don't want to have to sell our house to pay for his medicine (although I would if that is what it took). I finally fought them enough that it is now a different strength that he takes twice as many pills to equal the same actual amount of medicine. It is now covered and now costs us only $5 a month. Who makes these crazy rules? Sorry again for the tangent! I guess I am more angry about this than I realized!

    By Blogger Radioactive Tori, at 10:06 PM  
  • I totally totally understand. I'm not sure if it was the $670 a month in meds or the other $1300 a month in tests to assure the meds weren't screwing up my kidneys, were indeed working, etc. that scared my insurance company into screwing me out of my illness being covered but whatever it was it makes me angry because they seem to forget that that's what they're there for!

    I use to work with Clean Water Action when it was out of Lansing (I see now that it's moved to East Lansing.) When I worked there they shared an office with a consumer advocacy group MCL (sorry, can't remember what it stands for) that worked a LOT on insurance issues (was their main focus.) Both the environmental group and the consumer advocacy group had multiple offices in many other states. I'm sure if I were to call CWA in East Lansing, MI, they could at least get me pointed in the right direction for you.

    By Blogger Java Junkie, at 1:26 AM  
Post a Comment
<< Home
permalink