<$BlogRSDUrl$>
About | Our Addictions | the Monkey House | JJ's Special Blend
Where you're either looking for a fix, or just plain bananas

Addiction Brings the Death of Prairie JJ

Friday, May 12, 2006
written by Java Junkie

Being a long time sufferer of insomnia I've come up with a few "inventive" ways to try to quiet my mind for the day while laying in bed. I draw the most elaborate numbers I can from 100 to 1 on my bed sheet with my finger, I spend lotto winnings, I design and build buildings, I decide what I would do if I had a time machine that could take me back to the old west. Sometimes it works but sometimes I end up realizing I'm having too much fun to fall asleep. The last is one of my favorites because what I actually do is try to decide which inventions would be best to take back to that age and how I would make a living as a fairly independent woman being transported to a time before women's suffrage. What comforts of today I would have to live without really was never much of a concern as long as I could have the most important element in my day to day life besides my family, coffee.

So on my fantasy would play. I would shock everyone by taking daily baths and how nice my skin and hair would look because I would know secrets to keeping them healthy with avocados and mayonnaise. How I would help medicine by helping to debunk many of the wives tales "doctors" relied on for diagnosis and treatment. How fresh and unprocessed the food would be.

Five days ago something happened that will forevermore keep me from being Prairie JJ. Something so drastic that I realize I have a problem, an addiction. Something that made me realize how frail and weak and dependant I have become to this thing, this control over my life.

...

...

Our microwave broke. Monkey found me shivering in a ball in the corner.
8:58 AM ::
7 Comments:
  • may bee it is the coffee that keeps you awake

    By Blogger sweet rose, at 10:59 AM  
  • I would love to join you in the old west...but...can I take my PC?

    By Blogger BoomBoom, at 11:42 AM  
  • Nah, I've suffered from severe insomnia ever since I was a small child - well before I was drinking coffee. I am, however, careful to only drink one cup of half caf after dinner, which has long been out of my system well before I head to bed. Insomnia isn't just the inability to sleep, it's also poor and easily interupted sleep. I could (and have) gone days without coffee and still wake up with a pin drop. I think Ed Norton's character in Fight Club describes it best ... "You're never really awake and you're never really asleep."

    Thanks for the suggestion though! :)

    By Blogger Java Junkie, at 11:50 AM  
  • Tatertot - only if you bring a LOT of hampsters and running wheels! ;)

    By Blogger Java Junkie, at 11:50 AM  
  • You should read this book series called "Outlander". This woman gets transported back to Scotland in the mid 1700s. She's a nurse, so she becomes a "healer" and there are a lot of interesting passages describing what plants and herbs she uses to cure people. Plus it has hot sex, so there's that.

    By Blogger Table4Five, at 2:32 PM  
  • Funny, I've thought about what outfit I would wear back in time (through all time periods). I've settled on long black skirt, green shirt, long sleeve with heeled black boots. I would only drink hot tea everywhere (make sure my tea is boiled for at least three minutes please) and I would bring with me - my glasses and a microscope.

    By Blogger Jenny, at 2:54 PM  
  • One of my favorite scenes from Back to the Future is when Marty is standing over the bed of his father in 1955 blasting his walkman into his ears.... I'd probably want to do something along those lines...

    By Blogger Monkey, at 4:13 PM  
Post a Comment
<< Home
permalink